This page provides resources for librarians, academic managers, and faculty to start and manage an electronic thesis program and to build and manage a thesis repository.
We invite all NDLTD members and other interested parties to submit resources for inclusion in this web site. We also invite academic institutions to submit links to web pages and documents that may serve as valuable examples to others. Please send any contributions to email@example.com.
Start and Manage an ETD Program
Introduction: Guidance Documents for the Lifecycle Management of ETDs
Guidelines for Implementing ETD Programs – Roles and Responsibilities
Guide to Access Levels and Embargoes of ETDs
Briefing on Copyright and Fair Use Issues in ETDs
Guidelines for Collecting Usage Metrics and Demonstrations of Value for ETD Programs
Managing the Lifecycle of ETDs: Curatorial Decisions and Practices
Metadata for ETD Lifecycle Management
Guide to ETD Program Planning and Cost Estimation
Guide to Options for ETD Programs
The Lifecycle Management of Electronic Theses & Dissertations (ETDs) Workshop consists of a modular set of Creative Commons (CC-BY 4.0) licensed materials that are available for ETD programs or professional associations to make use of (and adapt) for educating a wide-range of ETD stakeholders. Modules include:
- ETD Lifecycle Management Overview
- ETD Lifecycle Guidance Documents Overview
- ETD Lifecycle Management Tools Overview
The ETD Lifecycle Management Tools Manual provides resources and instruction to cover five major areas of lifecycle curation for ETDs, including:
- Virus Checking
- File Format Identification
- Preservation Metadata
- ETD SubmissionReference Link Archiving
- We welcome content contributions on the following topics:
Build and Manage an ETD Repository
Open Source Repositories
Commercial Repositories and Repository Services
ETD Submission Systems
- Jarrow – Submit theses and dissertations to an Islandora repository.
- OpenETD – Export ETDs in METS/XML for ingest into a variety of repositories.
- ProQuest ETD Administrator – Submit theses and dissertations to ProQuest.
- Valet for ETDs – Submit theses and dissertations to a Fedora repository.
- Vireo – Submit theses and dissertations to a Dspace repository.
is a collection of resources about ensuring long-term open access to ETDs with sound, affordable preservation strategies.
To give maximal exposure to your institute's ETDs, you must provide accurate and complete metadata. NDLTD recommends that you use the ETD Metadata Standard ETD-MS