NDLTD is pleased to announce the 2017 ETD Awards program.
We invite all NDLTD members to nominate individuals they feel deserve the recognition!
Deadline for Nominations: May 31st, 2017
The NDLTD's ETD Awards recognize and support innovative theses and dissertations and leadership within the ETD community. These awards are presented each year at the annual ETD Symposium.
The awards include several categories of appreciation:
- The Innovative ETD Award supports student efforts to transform the genre of the dissertation through the use of innovative research data management techniques and software to create multimedia ETDs.
- The ETD Leadership Award recognizes individuals whose leadership and vision has helped raise awareness of the benefits of open access ETDs and whose efforts have improved graduate education and research through the use of technology.
The awards will be presented at ETD 2017 "Exploring Global Connections" the 20th International Symposium on Electronic Theses and Dissertations, Washington, DC August 7-9, 2017.
Award Category Information, Procedures and Requirements:
Innovative ETD Award
The intent of this award is to support current graduate students in the creation of innovative ETDs. We anticipate students will use the award to assist in the purchase of specialized software, computer equipment or other technical support needed in the production or publication of their ETD. Nominations for this award should indicate how the award will support the application and integration of renderings, photos, data sets, software code or other multimedia objects in the student’s ETD.
- A prospective thesis or dissertation may be nominated by a representative (e.g. administrator, faculty member or librarian) of an institution that is a member of the NDLTD.
- Each NDLTD member may submit up to 2 nominees. In addition, a student from a member organisation may submit a self-nomination.
- The nomination should include their approved thesis proposal, along with a brief statement about how the work will use technology to enhance the presentation of the research in the forthcoming ETD.
- The resulting ETD must be distributed online as open access upon publication.
- Students must provide an ORCID ID upon acceptance of the award.
- There may be up to three winners in this category.
- Each winner will receive $1,000*
- Winners are required to record a video acceptance message (approximately 2 - 3 minutes) that may be presented at the annual symposium’s awards ceremony and distributed online, or provide an acceptance message in writing (500 words or less).
ETD Leadership Award
This is open to individuals whose leadership and vision has helped raise awareness of the benefits of ETDs and whose efforts have improved graduate education through the use of ETDs. Nominations should include details about the individual's ETD related activities and how the nominee's leadership has made significant advances in the area of ETDs at the local, regional, national or international levels.
- The nominator or nominator’s institution must be affiliated as an NDLTD member.
- There may be up to two winners for this category.
- Each winner will receive international honorary recognition.
- Each winner will receive up to $500 reimbursement to attend the annual symposium
- Winners will also receive complimentary registration to the annual symposium in the year of award.
- If a winner is not a member of the NDLTD or associated with an institution which is not a member of the NDLTD they will be eligible for a 1 year complimentary (personal or institutional) membership.
- Winners are encouraged to do one of the following:
- attend the annual symposium's award ceremony and present a 3-5 minute acceptance speech, or
- record and submit a 3-5 minute video acceptance message to be presented at the annual symposium’s awards ceremony, or
- provide a written 500 word or less acceptance message to be read at the annual symposium's awards ceremony.
*I.R.S regulations require the NDLTD to report all award amounts distributed; citizens of the United States must provide a valid Social Security number to receive award distributions. Winners must agree to the conditions set forth in the eligibility requirements listed here and NDLTD policy. Winners must also agree to make acceptance/acknowledgments materials available to the NDLTD for the purpose of international promotions.