Call for Nominations - NDLTD ETD Awards 2013
NDLTD ETD INNOVATION & LEADERSHIP AWARDS
The Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations (NDLTD) consortium is pleased to announce the 2013 ETD Awards program. We invite all NDLTD members to nominate individuals they feel deserve the recognition!
The awards include several categories of appreciation.
- The Innovative ETD Award recognizes student efforts to transform the genre of the print dissertation through the use of innovative software to create multimedia ETDs.
- The Innovative Learning through ETDs Award recognizes a graduate whose professional life has been enhanced by the ETD process.
- The ETD Leadership Award recognizes members of the university community whose leadership and vision has helped raise awareness of the benefits of ETDs and whose efforts have improved graduate education and research through the use of ETDs.
The awards will be presented at the ETD 2013 Symposium, to be held September 23 - 27, 2013 at the Hong Kong Central Library auditorium in Causeway Bay located on Hong Kong Island.
Eligibility, Nomination Procedures and Evaluation Criteria
- The nominator and the nominee's University must be an NDLTD member.
- Nominations will be reviewed by the NDLTD Awards Committee. Current members of the NDLTD Awards Committee are not eligible for nomination.
- Winners are encouraged but not required to attend the ETD Symposium.
- Travel scholarship funding of up to U.S. $500 will be provided to award winners to attend the ETD Symposium. Scholarship funds will be provided on a reimbursement basis only.
- We request that winners who cannot attend the Symposium record a video acceptance message (approximately 2 - 3 minutes) that can be presented at the Symposium Awards ceremony and distributed online, or provide an acceptance message in writing (500 words or less).
- Nomination letters should include:
- A brief description (1,000 words or less) of background information, detail of the merits of the work and justification for nomination.
- Additional letters of support (i.e. from faculty, administration, students, Library or Graduate School Dean, Provost, etc.).
- Complete contact information for both the nominator and nominee, including home and/or University postal and email addresses.
- Examples of previous award winners, links to multimedia ETDs and acceptance speech videos are available at http://www.ndltd.org/events_and_awards/awards/etd-awards.
- Also see the news article "NDLTD ETD Award Winners 2004 - 2010: Case Studies in Success" and ETD 2012 Award Winners.
- Nominations must be sent by email to ETD Awards Committee Chair Elsabé Olivier (University of Pretoria, South Africa) at email@example.com
Deadline for Nominations: May 31, 2013
Specific Awards Category Information and Requirements
Innovative ETD Award
ETDs submitted for this award must represent student efforts to transform the genre of the print dissertation through the use of ETDs. This award recognizes innovative use of software to create "cutting edge" ETDs. The application and integration of renderings, photos, data sets, software code and other multimedia objects that are included in the document will be considered as part of the innovation of the work.
- An ETD may be nominated by a representative (e.g. administrator, faculty member or librarian) of an institution that is a member of the NDLTD.
- Each NDLTD member may submit up to 2 nominees. In addition, a student from a member organisation may submit a self-nomination.
- The nomination for these awards should include links to the archived work, along with a brief statement about how the work uses technology to enhance the presentation of research.
- ETD nominations may be in PDF and/or open (non-PDF) formats. Submissions of PDF formats should include hyper-linking and/or the source URL to any included supplementary multimedia material.
- The ETD must be distributed online as open access.
- Preference will be given to ETDs approved for graduation during the 2012 calendar year (January through December 2012), although nominations from previous years will also be considered.
- There may be up to three winners.
- Each winner will receive U.S. $500 and will be eligible to receive an additional U.S. $500 in travel scholarship funding to attend the ETD Symposium.*
Innovative Learning through ETDs Award
A graduate whose professional life has been enhanced by the ETD process (not to include the value of the degree earned) will be recognized.
- Self-nomination is appropriate for this award.
- The nominator and/or the nominee's University must be an NDLTD member.
- The nomination for this award should include a short essay (1,000 words or less) describing the student's ETD experience and how it improved/changed their graduate experience and their professional life.
- The ETD may still be in-process or already completed at the time of nomination.
- There is no time limit on when the ETD may have been completed.
- There may be up to two winners.
- Each winner will receive U.S. $500 and will be eligible to receive an additional U.S. $500 in travel scholarship funding to attend the ETD Symposium
ETD Leadership Award
This is open to individuals whose leadership and vision has helped raise awareness of the benefits of ETDs and whose efforts have improved graduate education through the use of ETDs. Letters of nomination should include details about the individual's ETD related activities and how the nominee's leadership has made significant advances in the area of ETDs at the local, regional, national or international levels.
- Nominations should be submitted by the nominee's supervisor or related University administrator.
- The nominee or nominee's institution must be affiliated as an NDLTD member.
- There may be up to two winners.
- Each winner will receive international honorary recognition.
*I.R.S regulations require the NDLTD to report all award amounts distributed; citizens of the United States must provide a valid Social Security number to receive award distributions. Winners must agree to the conditions set forth in the eligibility requirements listed here and NDLTD policy. Winners must also agree to make acceptance / acknowledgments materials available to the NDLTD for the purpose of international promotions.
ETD 2013 Symposium - "Asian Values, Western Thought, World Treasure"
Click for a printable PDF version of this call for nominations.